Bodybuilding nutrition is considered as a vital thing to be followed. A perfect diet with proper distribution of calories and also supported with the right supplements lead you to achieve a remarkable physique.
Three major purposes of bodybuilding nutrition
- Essential for great performance.
- It helps an athlete to lead long-lasting, active, and healthy sports life.
- For the higher rate of recovery.
For an appreciable performance you need to concentrate on the following rules:
- Technique: Acquire more knowledge about your workout, diet, technique, or any other thing related to your routine. Because more knowledge you gain, helps you to get better results in a short period. Because with proper technique you can attain your goals at a faster rate. Working smart is better than working hard.
- Strength: Lifting heavy weights will help you to gain muscles if you do it properly. So lifting low weights is not an embarrassing one, in the beginning. First, try to get gain some strength and gradually increase the levels step by step. When your strength started increasing then you can able to lift more weight which gives you more muscles.
- Nutrition: There is famous quote in fitness, “30% gym + 70% diet = 100% beast“, its true. We hardly spend 3-4 hrs in a day (24 hrs). To see the results of 3-4 hrs of your efforts you need to be very disciplined to rest 20 hrs. As per the quote working hard in the gym for hours and without a proper diet plan and lack of nutrition you can’t reach your goal. So from now try to concentrate on your nutrition keen for good outcomes.
- Rest: Last but not least, nowadays people are so busy with their day to day activities like studies, work, and other things. But some people hardly allocate some time for a workout, but they fail to take the required amount of rest. For a normal person, he/she need to take a minimum of 6 hrs of rest per day. For the gym person, he/she need to take rest for at least 8 hrs a day, Which helps muscles to recover and deliver nutrients to your body. Remember, More rest you take = More muscles you gain.
If you follow these rules in muscle construction you can able to results in no time.
Bodybuilding Nutrition: Hydrating Your Body
Hydration vital one in bodybuilding nutrition. Water helps you in properly maintaining your metabolism and it helps nutrients to your body quickly.
Water is considered a major nutrition supply, especially in bodybuilding. Our body is covered with water in the ratio of 2:3. The percentage of water in our body decreases gradually as we get old.
Signal of dehydration
Whenever you feel thirst, It is the basic signal that your body is dehydrating and it needs some water.
The quantity of water intake varies from one person to another. It is based on their work, environment, and also with their health conditions. But 12 quarts is the maximum amount of water to drink in 24 hours suggested by “The American College of Sports Medicine“.
Water is generally good for health and maintaining metabolism. But drinking more than a limit will lead you to some serious conditions. Some of those symptoms are:
- Muscle twitching
- Coma and death
The required amount of water:
- Normal person: 1.5-2 litres/day
- Athlete: 2-2.5 litres/day
- Bodybuilder: On an average person with 80 kg/Spends one hour in the gym per day should take a 3-3.5 liters/per day
Bodybuilding Nutrition: Calorie Intake
The basic calorie intake should be in the ratio of Carbohydrates:Protein:Fat is 6:3:1.
On average requirements are:
- 60%-70% of carbs
- 15%-25% of protein
- 10%-15% of fats
Bodybuilding Nutrition: Carbohydrates (Carbs)
Carbohydrates are a major one among the macronutrients. All sugars are carbs. Mostly carbs are made from sugars. Among carbohydrates, glucose is considered as the most important one. The excess amount of glucose was stored in the muscles and liver. Carbohydrates provide 4 Kcals/gram. The carbohydrates are classified into two types based on the glycaemic index (GI – Blood sugar level). They are:
- Simple carbohydrates
- Complex carbohydrates
Simple carbohydrates: The Carbohydrates which can be broken down easily by the body and used as an energy source. These types of carbohydrates available mostly in Milk, dairy products, and fruits.
Complex carbohydrates: The carbs which take more time to be broken dwown when compared to simple carbohydrates, because the carbs contain two or sometimes it contains three units of sugars linked together. The body takes more time to digest, the process is slow and steady. As a result of digestion, it releases glucose in the bloodstream slow and even, when compared to simple carbs. It is mostly available in pasta, potatoes, and rice.
Note: Our bodies should derive 60%-70% calorific expenditure from carbohydrates especially from complex carbohydrates.
Bodybuilding Nutrition: Protein
Proteins play a vital role in muscle building, tissue repair, and overall muscle mass. It also helps in cellular regeneration and is also needed in the formation of antibodies, enzymes production, fluid balance, blood-clotting factors, hormones, and blood-transport protein. Proteins provide 4 Kcals/gram. An average person needs 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram. But the protein intake varies based on their needs. A sportsperson or a bodybuilder requires 2-2.5 grams of protein/Kg, even sometimes more.
We can find a high quality of protein from meat, poultry, fish, milk, cheese, and egg. The low proteins from soybeans, split peas, chickpeas, navy beans, pinto beans. All these foods are great for sources of protein.
Note: Our bodies should derive 20%-25% calorific expenditure from proteins especially from animal protein.
Bodybuilding nutrition: Fats
Fat is also one of the major macronutrients. The appropriate body temperature is maintained with the help of the fats. For the correct functioning of hormones necessity of fat is a must. It also helps to improve your immune system and cell repair. Some healthy types of fats are…
- Omega 3
- Omega 6 fatty acids
- Olive Oil
Not all types of fats are good. Some types of fat that we should avoid for sure. Fast foods, industrial products, saturated fatty acids, and also the re-use of the same oil for repeated times for preparing foods – these are things to avoid at any cost.
Note: Our body requires 10%-15% of the total calorific expenditure from fats. The limit should not exceed nor be lowered.
Bodybuilding nutrition: Additional tips
- Taking more fiber food prevents you from digestive illness. The minimum intake of fiber is 20 grams/day.
- Salt is almost present in every food consume. But excess salt intake is harmful. 1000 mg/day is the maximum limit allowed.
- Due to modern food processing methods, it eliminates some important nutrients from food. To fulfill those requirements we need supplements.
- Avoid junk foods, tobacco, alcohol, and other harmful things to lead a healthy life.